The Statistical Consulting Service (Department of Statistical Sciences) offers a professional, statistical consultation service to postgraduate students and researchers at the University of Cape Town and other academic institutions, and to corporate and NGO clients.
The service spans the following types of activities, and is subject to stipulated terms and conditions.
- Assistance regarding research design (experiments or surveys), sampling design, questionnaire design and data collection methodology
- Guidance for data capturing and verification
- Advice on appropriate software for data analysis
- Data cleaning, validation and manipulation
- Analysis of data
- Assistance with data interpretation
- Referral to statistical specialists when required
- Short training courses tailored for specific needs (on request)
- Consultancy hours are Monday to Friday, 09:00-16:00. Appointments on Tuesday for returning clients and Thursday for new clients only
- It is the responsibility of the client to provide ample time for statistical consulting, and to inform the consultant of any deadlines; as a guideline, requests must be submitted at least 6 to 8 weeks prior to the deadline.
- It is strongly recommended that clients contact the consultancy at the onset of their project.
- New projects are not accpeted during the months of December and January. Clients submitting projects during this time should take note that work on these projects will only commence in February.
- Time frames for feedback will be negotiated throughout. For large or unusual datasets, extra time may be needed to research a solution, manipulate the data and compute the results. Results can be delayed by unanticipated problems with the data, availability of computer resources, and seasonally heavy workloads.
- November/December and July/August are particularly busy times because of dissertation deadlines.
- Students are required to obtain approval from their supervisors before requesting consultancy services, and it is strongly recommended that supervisor(s) attend at least the first consultation.
- To register a new project with the SCS for consideration, clients must complete and submit an application form and signed copy of the Terms and Conditions of Service. These documents are available from the Forms page. Please note: incomplete applications will delay project review.
- Applications can be submitted either electronically to Shakeel Meyer at email@example.com or in hard copy at the reception to the Department of Statistical Sciences (PD Hahn, Level 5).
- Applications will be reviewed within two weeks of submission.
- Initial meetings are scheduled depending on the reviewing process.
Initial Contact information:
Tel: 021 650 3700