Office: PD Hahn 5.55
Tel: +27 (0)21 650 4766
Research Interests: Time series analysis, panel data, spatial statistics
- STA1000F Statistics 1000
- STA3022F Research and Survey Statistics
- STA2020F Business Statistics
- Financial Statistics (Masters)
- Post Doc. in Sampling (2010) in Dublin City University / School of Computing
- Ph.D. in Quantitative Methods (2009) from Istanbul University / Faculty of Business Administration
- Masters in Economics Theory (2004) from Istanbul University / Faculty of Economics
- BSc. In Management Engineering (2001) from Istanbul Technical Engineering / Faculty of Business Administration
Şebnem Er has a BSc. degree on Management Engineering from Istanbul Technical University of Turkey, and a PhD in Quantitative Methods from Istanbul University of Turkey. Her PhD thesis entitled “Dynamic Panel Data Analysis and the Determinants of Stock Returns in Turkish Manufacturing Sector” addresses the issue of the applicability of efficient market theory to the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE) market.
She has finished her postdoctoral research on stratified sampling in School of Computing in Dublin City University (DCU) in Ireland. While she was doing her postdoctoral research, she tutored “Statistics” courses on the “Quantitative Finance and Actuarial Mathematics” degree and in the first semester of 2010-2011 academic year, she has taught R and tutored for “Probability and Statistics” courses in the “Computer Applications and Enterprise Computing” degrees in DCU.
She has worked as a research assistant in Istanbul University from 2002 to 2012. As a research assistant in Istanbul University, she was responsible for the tutorials on the undergraduate courses of “Introduction to Statistics”, “Statistical Analysis”, “Regression Analysis” and graduate courses of “Multivariate Statistical Analysis” and “Time Series Analysis”. She has thought “Introduction to Statistics” to the second year English Business degree students in Fall semester 2012-2013 academic year in Istanbul University.
She was the project member of Istanbul Quantitative Lectures that was held in July 2012 in Turkey. She has done the tutorial sections of “Spatial Statistics and Econometrics” lectures with Prof. Anil K. Bera.
She is a member of the South Africa Statistical Association (SASA) and she is on the editorial board of International Journal of Statistics and Applications since November 2011 and she is on the International Advisory Board of International Journal of Statistika and Mathematika since July 2012.
She is currently working on spatial panel data analysis and structural equation modelling in panel data applied in social and business areas. She is also continuing her research on stratified sampling in multivariate cases.
- Şebnem Er. (2012). “Book Review: Multivariate Generalized Linear Models Using R by Damon M. Berridge and Robert Crouchley, Boca Raton, Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, 2011”, Journal of Applied Statistics, 23 April 2012.
- Şebnem Er. (2012). “Comparison of the Efficiency of the Various Algorithms in Stratified Sampling when the Initial Solutions are Determined with Geometric Method”, International Journal of Statistics and Applications, 2012, 2(1), pp.1-10.
- Şebnem Er, Bengü Vuran. (2012). “Factors Affecting Stock Returns of Firms Quoted in ISE Market: A Dynamic Panel Data Approach”, International Journal of Business and Social Research, 2012, 2(1), pp.109-122.
- Şebnem Er. (2012). “Women Indicators of Economic Growth: A Panel Data Approach”, Economic Research Guardian, 2012, 2(1), pp.27-42.
- GA4Stratification, R Package: A genetic algorithm approach to determine stratum boundaries and sample sizes of each stratum in stratified sampling, http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/GA4Stratification/index.html
- Timur Keskinturk, Sebnem Er, “A Genetic Algorithm Approach To Determine Stratum Boundaries and Sample Sizes of Each Stratum in Stratified Sampling”, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Vol. 52, Issue 1, 15 September 2007, pp.53-67.